Agile strategies leverage tourism because it changes and modifies some features of the business model.
Nowadays, you will hardly see someone visiting or calling a travel agency to get information related to the trips they are planning to take.
Because they get all their answers online. For instance, they get their queries resolved through online chat or email.
Hence, travel companies change their business model.
It is now on the basis of the internet and new Information Communication Technology.
So, people will know about the events that are happening around and follow them through their social media pages.
Previously, tourism businesses put their efforts into designing and publishing a large number of brochures, maps, and more for a specific event or season.
These maps and brochures were most likely useless for different seasons or events, and altering the brochures was expensive.
With the introduction of the Internet, a company may quickly and inexpensively update graphics and information on their website.
Let’s first understand agile organization in brief then I will point out strategies you can create to make your tourism business agile.
What is an Agile organization?
An organization is called agile when it can easily learn and adapt to the market changes and demand.
To that extent that it will take advantage of those changes by customizing its product and services accordingly.
In other words, they can seize opportunities and deploy their tangible and intangible assets in short time cycles with the least amount of cost and effort possible.
Strategies to construct a business model
Business models are structural and interdependent operational relations between companies.
Its customers, employees, shareholders, suppliers, and other departmental units.
Usually, making changes in them is not easy and they are followed persistently.
And it is much needed to maintain stability so that work can perform accurately and efficiently.
But, it limits the strategic agility of a company and plays an obstacle in its reformation and renewal.
Renewal of Business Model
Doz and Konson lay down a framework to deal with this challenge and accelerate business model renewal.
They say there are three ‘meta-capabilities’ in the leadership action agenda. These agile strategies leverage tourism.
(a) Strategic Sensitivity, (b) Leadership Unity, and (c) Resource Fluidity
Firstly, we have strategic sensitivity, which tells us to be aware of new developments and be ready to grasp them.
It gives companies time to plan, schedule, and defines their new business model.
To increase the company’s strategic sensitivity anticipate, experiment, distance, abstract, and reframe.
- Anticipating and foresight allow for the reformation of the business model when value creation is needed to stay above competitors.
- Experimenting provides insights to companies regarding what should be incorporated into a business model.
- Distancing is about gaining perspective by thoroughly understanding what an organization will contribute to customers.
- Abstracting is about controlling the scope and size of projects and business models while maintaining their conceptual essence and contextual dependencies.
- Re-framing deals with imagining all possible business models for the same business as multiple strategic frames for a business model are valuable.
It defines the potential of the leadership team to make decisions timely and abandons the traditional approach of team handling.
It shifts team unity towards a new business model.
The new model discusses the team to be more understanding and trusting.
So, the goal is to abandon the old model and be more risk-taking.
To increase leadership ability the team must be dialoguing, revealing, integrating, aligning, and caring.
- Dialoguing: The management should be open to new ideas and hear out diverse ideas from lower-level employees.
- Reveal: Create a welcoming environment where employees feel comfortable sharing ideas. Work on improving personal safety and mutual respect.
- Integrating: The motive is to connect organizational sub-units to services and digital platforms in an innovative way so as to minimize business dependencies.
- Align: Create aspirational and emotional images, so that people are committed to a similar principle and beliefs in the new business model.
- Caring: Leaders must build a kind of business model where employees feel cared for, a personal sense of security, and companionship.
It deals with the ability to rearrange, reallocate and move resources at a fast pace in a bulk. Introduce structural agility and seize new opportunities. Improve fluidity of resources by decoupling, modularizing, dissociating, switching, and grafting.
- Decoupling: Evolving the system to make it more flexible.
- Modularizing: If possible then disassemble and reassemble fundamental business systems. You can modularize processes and IT systems.
- Disassociate: Break alignment between business boundaries and its related business model.
- Switch: Creating a parallel but separate business model and assigning products and market segments flexibly.
- Grafting: Strategic agility or the ability to take risks and introduce a different model into current operations.
Examples to implement Agile Tourism in your business
As it is the need of the hour to maintain social distance between people, why not switch to a greenhouse restaurant.
So, you don’t need to distance the table and chairs but in fact, build a sitting area inside the glass structure.
And arrange plats and flowers between people, it will give a nice look while fulfilling the purpose of social distance.
Eating outside or on the rooftop where you can feel the breeze of fresh air is the perfect idea to reduce the risk of Covid-19.
So, if you want then move the restaurant table outdoors and guests can enjoy a fine dining experience while adhering to physical distance requirements.
Allowing vehicles only
If you have a zoo, and people are afraid to visit there then allow guests to roam the zoo by vehicle only.
Visitors can enjoy the zoo from the comfort of their vehicles while remaining physically distant from other visitors.
You can also educate visitors to download a podcast where their staff will guide them through audio.
In this blog, I have shared strategies you can use to create a business model and a few examples.
These examples should how you can in this time of pandemic make your business grow.
Agile strategies leverage tourism because they are welcoming of new changes, seize opportunities in them, and help in the growth of the business.
Rigidity is never an option when you are running a business in a constantly changing environment.
Please share views in the comment box.
If you want to learn about the functionality of QloApps then you can visit this link: QLO Reservation System – Free Open-Source Hotel Booking & Reservation System
In case of any query, issue, or requirement please feel free to raise it on QloApps Forum
Moreover, you can raise a ticket to connect with our experts for any assistance.